Tuesday 8 September 2015

Is Milk Veg or non Veg?

Yes, Ladies and Gentle Men, any one who ever came across these type of question in  his/her life may know that how teasing these type of questions are?? 

And every time after so long discussions the question was still not answered.But today you will not get disappointed after reading this.


We all know, Who are vegetarian exactly? Vegetarian means the person who lived only on plant and plant products (Fruits, grains etc.,). But milk is not procured from plant, is it clear? then why this much discussion required? Here I want to give you some examples for better and deeper under standing.

One user named Savita Patidar replied on Quora.com for this question like this:- 
""1) vegetarian means eating only plant derived food. And milk is animal derived.

2) Its produced by a mammal for her baby. It's not ethical. I've seen myself how cows and their babies are treated. Even if she and her babies don't die in the process they are harmed physically and mentally. In my opinion it's equivalent to cutting a piece of meat from a cow's body,  eating it, and saying "she didn't die so it's veg".

I think most people won't accept that milk is non-vegetarian because their community is drinking it for ages and they have always called themselves vegetarian. AND IT'S TOO DIFFICULT TO STOP CONSUMING DAIRY SO THEY CHOOSE THE EASIER WAY- 'CONSIDERING DAIRY AS VEGETARIAN'.

I am a 'vegetarian' by birth. But in my teens I realised and ACCEPTED MILK IS NOT VEG. I am trying my best to be a 'VEGAN' or VEGETARIAN cuz as for me both are same.

I know most of the vegetarians who eat dairy would criticize it. But this is what I believe.""

Another user from same site replied in oppose of above answers:-
""I am a vegetarian or it will be better if I say I call myself a vegetarian. My definition of vegetarian might be different from others.  

But I consider milk as veg just because we do not kill any animal or bird to get it.

But when it comes to cheese, I do not prefer to eat any cheese available in market just because many cheese have rennet (animal) in it. And it is something that is extracted from a calf's stomach. So there are cheese which are made up of non animal rennet and hence I consider them as vegetarian cheese.

Few might agree with me others might not. So worth mentioning here that it's just my opinion. 

Thanks for reading!""

Dietitian and Nutrition Educator, Barbara Zabitz clarify the definition of ""A vegetarian who includes milk and milk-derived foods such as yogurt and cheese in their diet is usually referred to as being a lacto-vegetarian.  A vegetarian who includes eggs in their diet is usually referred to as being an ovo-vegetarian.  A vegetarian who includes both milk-derived products and eggs in their diet is usually referred to as being a lacto-ovo-vegetarian.""

Other than all these discussion I would like to inform you that milk contain blood cells from animal vain, technologist referred it as leukocytes, and there for it is hard to consider milk as veg product.

Now hope you have your answer now.......milk is comes under lacto-veg category, not fully veg. May be just to satisfy (do not hurt) feeling of Veg Class.

Thanks...........



1 comment:

  1. If it didn't kill animal it's vegaccording to you, but If we cut leg of animal , that animal doesn't die should we consider leg as veg?
    And it milking process is painful to some animal.

    ReplyDelete